Friday 21 December 2012

On Peacocks and Bad Girls

A couple of days ago I wrote to you about how I was dreaming of a ‘Peacock Christmas’! Can you imagine how ecstatic I was when I saw M.I.A on the cover of this month’s Jalouse in the bright orange and gold, and even a full-page picture of a peacock in the editorial featuring this hugely talented artist!
Jalouse Decembre 2012/ Janvier 2013 - Gavras & Viollet
The images of M.I.A. and her gang were captured by Romain Gavras and Cedric Viollet in the Chateau of Fontainebleau. The mix of cultures works extremely well as the styling ensures a common thread through the luxury of the colours, the fabrics and the jewellery.
Aren’t you just captivated by the look in this guy’s eye?  The mix of questioning and fierceness – but yet a very determined expression in his mouth at the same time
Jalouse Decembre 2012/ Janvier 2013 - Gavras & Viollet
I love how this whole picture just shines gold – it’s super bling yet the younger boy with his orange jacket and pink pants brings the right touch of quirkiness and eccentricity. The composition as well brings some kind of mystery: they seem like guards, what is hidden behind the gold door? What secrets are they guarding?
Jalouse Decembre 2012/ Janvier 2013 - Gavras & Viollet
I applaud the colour combination in this picture – the hair, the pants, the sweater, the nails and lipstick! It’s great also how the lighting – the long exposure – makes this orange work well with the wooden background. And how those kohl-lined eyes just pop and draw your attention!  It almost makes me want to colour my hair orange! But it probably wouldn’t suit my winter white complexion, so I’ll stick to winter white blonde ;)

Jalouse Decembre 2012/ Janvier 2013 - Gavras & Viollet
The artist M.I.A. surely stimulates reaction and action, so a true Catalyst and that’s also why I feature her in this blog. Not only has she developed her own very original music style defying pop conventions but she is strong in incorporating a range of political, social and cultural references in her lyrics. She believes that art should represent society. And that it should induce anything but apathy – hence the ‘provoking’ lyrics and videos for which she has already collaborated twice with Romain Gavras, photographer on this editorial. And I can understand why their collaboration would be so dynamic as both share the same philosophy. Gavras, a young French film director, aims as well to always bring an element of social consciousness to his work.
E.g. the recent song 'Bad Girls' and its video, directed by Gavras, have sparked many conversations on women empowerment in the Arab World, especially Saudi Arabia. Have a look at the video below.

Gavras won two VMAs for Best Cinematography and Best Direction and M.I.A. is nominated for a Grammy in 2013!
"Live fast, die young
Bad girls do it well" - M.I.A. -'Bad girls'
Although I have no intention to die young, a little mantra lingers in my mind that good girls go to heaven but bad girls go everywhere ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment