Wednesday 19 December 2012

Family I love you

The cover of the December ‘12/January ’13 issue of L’Officiel is incredibly endearing. It features Carole Bouquet and her adorable grand-daughter with the headline ‘famille je vous aime’- ‘family I love you’.
L'Officiel N971 - Decembre/Janvier 2012-2013
The holidays are traditionally spent with family. Be it our biological families or our chosen ones, and by ‘chosen’ I mean friends. As I come from a very small family, I often refer to my friends as my chosen family J – I suppose it comes from a deep need to enlarge the idea of something so valuable.
This idea of ‘chosen’ family has sprung from my belief that concerns the nucleus of a family – the belief that being a parent is much more than providing the chromosomes to spark an existence. A belief that was shared in an article by Christopher Bennett in this winters ‘thoughtful’ I-D issue: ‘How important are genetics if you don’t have someone to provide the love, guidance and support you need to grow into the person you really are. A father fathers a child, as simple as that but a dad is there for his child 24/7. He actively participates in their lives, helps them grow, raises and nurtures them. And you don’t have to share genes to do that.’
So if someone can earn the title of ‘Dad’ by giving unconditional love but without sharing the same genes, I choose to grant some people the title ‘Family’ on the same grounds J
I hope you will all have a wonderful Christmas with your families - however you choose to define them!

No comments:

Post a Comment